The first elected directors of the District were Donald H. Lycan, Virgil M. Robinson, George Wells, Charles A. Thomas and Harlan A. Cate (for whom the District’s Cate Reservoir is named). The first Board of Directors meeting was held on September 20, 1926.
Over the years, the District has grown from its initial 243 service connections, to 608 in 1936, 1,048 in 1946, 4,765 in 1956 (as you can see, significant growth occurred in the post-World War II years), 5,076 in 1966, 5,233 in 1976, to 5,403 connections in 2020, serving the District’s 2.3-square-mile service area.
Today the District provides water service to its customers through the use of five active wells ranging in water production from 700 to 2,800 gallons per minute, and one 1.25-million-gallon reinforced concrete reservoir. The District pumps all of its water from the underground aquifer known as the Central Basin, which is an adjudicated water basin. The District delivers water to residential, commercial, industrial, and governmental customers.
In 2008, the District’s Board of Directors approved development of a Water System Master Plan to determine areas in need of improvement and help management make strategic decisions that would improve upon the reliability and efficiency of the District.